The Guidelines (according to the NKBA)Preparation Work Area
- Include a section of continuous counter top at least 36" wide x 24" deep immediately next to a sink for a primary preparation/work area.
- Standard AFF (above finish floor) height is 36"
- If the user bakes a lot you might want 30" - 32" counter height (for rolling dough and such like that)
- If the user is tall, counter heights can even go up to 40" - 42"
- a combination of a perpendicular counter can make a good preparation area -- this could also be in conjunction with a diagonal counter in the corner
- If the sink and range are on the same wall, then I like to keep the counter at 36" for the preparation area
- I prefer to have the preparation area be the island or a peninsula